We will now discuss the unification of Yaakov with Rachel and the unification of Yisrael with Leah, etc. which represent the relationships between the components of the emotions. These unifications are as follows:
1) As mentioned above, when the “Externality of the emotions” (Yaakov), which is the composition of the fire (Sternness), water (Kindness) and vapor (Compassion) of the breath of the lungs, come out into speech (Rachel), this is called the unification of Yaakov and Rachel. The example for this was given above, in the case of the husband and wife.
2) An additional unification is that of Yisrael and Leah. This is when the “Innerness of the emotions” (Yisrael), which is the intellect of the emotions, rises up into the letters of thought. For example, when one is worried in his heart, the worry will rise into his thoughts. The reasons for his worry (The innerness of the emotions) will come up in his thoughts (Leah). This is called the unification of Yisrael and Leah.
3) A further unification is that of Yisrael and Rachel. This is when the “Innerness of the emotions” (Yisrael), which is the intellect of the emotions, is expressed in speech. (An example of this is when one expresses the reasons why he is worried in his speech.)
4) There can also be a unification of Yaakov and Leah. This is when the externality of the emotions (Yaakov) rise up to the letters of thought (Leah). This is also called “The fleeting thoughts of the heart” (Hirhoorei Leeba). An example of this is when one is strolling down the street and thoughts are just popping into his head, like “what a nice day” or “I sure like chocolate” etc.
At times the unification can be as follows;
1) The inner emotions of the heart (Yisrael) rise up and unify with thought (Leah), and then the thought creates an external excitement of the emotions of the breath of the heart (Yaakov). Then, the external emotions of the heart (Yaakov) come out into speech (Rachel). The order of this unification would thus be Yisrael > Leah > Yaakov > Rachel.
Or sometimes the unification may be as follows;
2) The external emotions of the heart (Yaakov) rise up to thought (Leah), for there cannot be thought without emotional involvement and desire. He then speaks (Rachel) what he thinks. This is known as “The heels of Leah enter the head of Rachel” (Ikvei Leah Nichnaseem Toch Rosh Rachel) The order of this unification would thus be Yaakov > Leah > Rachel.